Friday, July 24, 2009

Gun Sword, Lovecraft, and other things.

This week I've been watching an anime called Gun Sword, honestly its a refreshing new spin on the classic japanese mecha style. Sorta like mecha meets mad max.

On other notes, LOVECRAFT.

The past few months I have been reading H. P. Lovecraft, this guy is amazing. I have no idea how I first got myself to pick up the small "At the Mountains of Madness" story in the library. The scope, the descriptions, the language he uses, it is overwhelming, a near drowning storm of awesomeness. Honestly I felt alot like Mountains of Madness (Taking place in Antarctica with a cyclopean city lost eons ago), was like a whirlwind, a white snowy storm, not knowing exactly what was happening. Then it cleared, and every piece fell together, into place, to reveal a dark and sinister truth. To be honest, Lovecraft does write some very disturbing stuff, things that may keep you up at night. Its well worth reading however, to start, read The Call of Cthulhu then At the Mountains of Madness, or The Shadow over Innsmouth to start.

Lovecraft, though his love live was an oxymoron for his name, himself being not very "active" with his wife, leading to a divorce, had close friends in the liteary world. Though many killed themselves or met certain doom, Lovecraft endured, pouring out his emotions onto paper. At the time of his death, his stories were only to be found in pulp magazines, now days are credited by writers such as Stephen King to be their ultimate inspiration.

Now onto a more brighter subject.

In the past I have written stories, although they contain heavy elements of dystopianism, cover ups, and Lovecraftian elements, even common mythology and rumored lost cities and the such. I decided I will change the flavor around, its time to write something brighter. Though I will have to decide what. I had a recommendation though today. Who knows.

No comments: